Twitter

Monday, December 29, 2008

Our Favorite Authors

Do you like to read? We do!! Each of us at The Lighthouse is going to pick our favorite authors and tell you why we like them. If you come into the store you will see our Staff Picks labeled clearly on the shelves. Tell us that you read about this author on our blog and you'll receive 20% off your book! Good for the month of January!!
Cindy's Pick: It is very hard for me to limit myself to only ONE author. I read so many.... A recent find I've really enjoyed is Brandilyn Collins. She writes mysteries; page turning suspense. Always a good "who done it." One can always count on her for twists and turns that you didn't count on. I have often "figured" it out only to be really off as the story unfolds. Brandilyn is quoted as saying this about her latest book Dark Pursuit, "To my loyal Seatbelt Suspense readers - you know the drill. Buckle in tight for this one. For you new readers-welcome to the ride. At the end you may be shaken-in soul as well as body. That was my intent." Check out Brandilyn Collins books here at The Lighthouse!
Debbie's Pick: Max Lucado! I love his writing because he's so...descriptive. You can almost feel, taste and see the scenes in his books. His words touch the depth of your soul. Amazing writer!Christian Book Preview has this to say, "People meet Max Lucado and rarely call him "Mr. Lucado." He's always just "Max." His readers feel like they have a friend in Max, a confidant, a companion on the journey of life. Read his books and you think you really know him. Max says his writing reflects who he is, an ordinary man pursuing an extraordinary God." Purchase your copies of Lucado's many books at The Lighthouse!
Ginny's Pick: I chose Ann Spangler. I have really enjoyed her unique yearlong devotional programs. Women of the Bible focused on the stories of 52 biblical women. Each week looks at a particular woman, and includes her story, background information about the culture of her day, a Bible study on her life, Bible promises that apply to her life, and help for praying in light of her story. One source says, "Ann writes in ways that reveal not just her intellectual curiosity but her desire for a deeper connection with God. By paying attention to the spiritual and emotional hungers that animate us and by finding creative ways to explore God’s self-revelation in Scripture, her writing surprises by revealing a God who is often far bigger and better than we might imagine." Purchase this and other books by Spangler at The Lighthouse.
Sally's Pick: My choice was easy. Joel Rosenberg. He is an outstanding author who has written both fiction and nonfiction, all based on Biblical prophecy and current events in the middle east. In my opinion he is a "must read." BOOKOPINION REVIEW stated; "The question often arises…is Joel Rosenberg, author of the popular Jihad” series, a modern day prophet? He says not. However, the uncanny resemblance between fiction and world events that explode ‘after’ the publication of his books, tends to make one consider the issue fairly seriously." Get Joel Rosenberg's books at The Lighthouse.
Shirley's Pick: I recommend the Louie Giglio DVDs entitled "How Great is our God" and "Indescribable". These titles can never describe adequately the God whom we serve, but the amazing photography of galaxies and worlds beyond our own, as shown in these DVDs, suggest to us an absolutely AWESOME GOD who is fully worthy of our worship!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the authors that your employees have chosen. I have read books by each of them and I heartily agree with their choices!!
Do I really get 20% off any books chosen by the employees???
I would love to have area events posted. I am certain that I miss many good concerts, etc. just because I do not hear about them in time. I will check here regularly.

The Lighthouse said...

Yes, you actually get 20% off your choice of books from our employees choices. The catch? YOU have to tell us that you read about it on the blog THEN you'll receive the discount. It's our way of rewarding those that are reading our blog!