Twitter

Friday, August 12, 2011

The Brotherhood

I really have been reading for the Summer Reading Program. Currently the book I am reading is not holding my attention and it's taking forever to finish. So I read another book in the meantime!! This review is really about "The Brotherhood" by Jerry Jenkins. This book not only held my interest, but I finished it in less than 24 hours.
I really enjoyed a book with strong male characters. So hard to find good Christian fiction with the main character being a man. Jenkins wove a realistic story of how a man has it all, and sees how "he" is the reason he has it all. Yeah, he believes in God, but it's his work that has brought him to the point he is. How sad when Boone Drake losses everything and finds he really didn't have faith at all.
His pastor Fransisco Sosa is a perfect example of what a Christian friend should be. He never guesses at the things he can't answer. He never forces himself on Boone, but also doesn't back down from taking a stand for what is true.
Boone's journey of faith was realistic and emotional. His attempts at prayer (as he puts it. Prayer is prayer.) make him question his own motives and the shaky faith he has. Enter the "bad" guy turned good, PC. As a cop drama it is no surprise that an inmate turns to Jesus and Boone is pulled into the resulting plan of PC's to redeem his past.
Every page of the book takes you further into Boone's journey of faith. Realistic and gripping. I want the next book to come out!

No comments: