Twitter

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Tangled Ashes

 I have read other books by Michele Phoenix and liked them.  However, Tangled Ashes was difficult for me.  It was well written.  Once again she uses a two part narrative.  Events go back and forth between two time periods.  She did a good job of combining them in the end.  Her books are emotional and difficult subjects.  I didn't like the characters in Tangled Ashes.  They were tangled in anger, hurt, bitterness.  I felt the story lacked redemption and freedom for the characters.  The story line had potential.  Marshall is hired to restore Lamorlaye Castle in France.  He is an alcoholic with serious issues.  The nanny, Jade, provides his meals and they clash often.  As details of all the secrets of the castle unfold, Lamorlaye has dark history - serving as a hospital for the breeding of Nazi's during World War II.  Likewise, the secrets of the current inhabitants of the castle have dark histories, that still are effecting them.  I just wished it moved me more.... 

No comments: